Monday, February 7, 2011

The Grand Tour

Domingo fue interesante (Sunday was interesting). My host mom woke us up at 8:30, made us toast and we got on the bus at 9:30 for our 10:00 Orientation.  And when I say "us" I mean my roommate and I. Her name is Molly and she is from Ohio and pretty awesome. She plays soccer and snowboards. So we had been on this bus (#41) the day before so we knew where we were going. But apparently different #41 buses have different routes. I thought I had figured out the bus system fairly quickly but I guess not. We finally noticed and got off in another city. we were already 30 min late for our meeting. So we found a taxi who took us directly there. However I was in such a rush I didn't look at what he gave me in change. The taxi ride cost 11.75, but when I gave him twenty he only gave me back 2.25. That's my mistake and i guess i learned. The orientation was alright. Mostly just scaring us to make sure we stay alert at all times. For example a main way people rob you is by "accidentally" pouring mustard or mayonnaise on your backpack and then offer to help clean it off. Once you take off your backpack they steel it and run...The ISA office suggests to tell them you like the mustard and run away :) And never talk in english in public areas. Thieves always prey on the Americans.

One thing that I have noticed is that there are no clocks anywhere in the city. Not even in the classrooms. And bus stops only have the number of which bus will stop there. Times the buses come? forget it. Buses can come anywhere from 5 min. to 40 min. Or 3 buses with the same number will all come it once. I never knew a bus system could be so tricky. But at the same time it's kind of fun figuring everything out...and scary. I have to go to the downtown police station to get my student visa on Wed. all by myself. So far I've either been with a group or my roommate. And to get there I need to take a bus, two subway lines, and walk 10 or so blocks. And if it's anything like the last two days I will need to be leaving two hours early so if I get lost, i'll have some extra time.



Then after the orientation we had almuerzo (Lunch) with empenadas. They are like thick croissants with different fillings in them. For example I had one with Ham and Cheese, and the other with chicken. But there were also meat, Italian, caprese, and vegetarian. Then after lunch we went on our  city tour. The first stop was el cemetario de Recoleta. It's about 5 blocks from where I'm living. It's beautiful and enormous but it cost 5,000 a month to stay there...weird statement huh? Here are some pictures.










We then stopped at Florida St. where no cars were allowed for about a mile and you could see nothing but an outdoor market. There was the normal clothes, earrings, jewelery, purses, and shoes all brightly colored. But then there were also tango dancers, mimes, and Argentina food. It was just fabulous. You could spend a whole day there. Then we drove around the city a little more and went to La Boca soccer field. Everything is painted blue and yellow in honor of their team. Then just a block away there is an entire neighborhood with colorful painted walls. There is so much culture to be taken in. But then only a few blocks away from that are the worst slums in Argentina. It's really interesting how the area can change so quickly. After dark it is not very safe according to our tour guide. Here are some pictures of the colorful neighborhood.







We went to other places but these were my favorite. 

I would like to say that I was able to be in buenos aires more than two days without getting burnt...but that would be a lie. I was probably in the sun no more than 2 hours on and off and somehow still burnt my shoulders. My host mom lectured me (in spanish) about fair skinned people like me need to put on sun screen but then gave me Aloe.

7 comments:

  1. Excellente senorita.....

    The cematario looks a bit like the one in Bonifacio, eh?

    Consider getting short-changed by the cabby as a tip.

    Love, DAD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your writing. The stories and pictures are fantastic. Give your host mom a hug from us. Sounds like she is taking good care of you! Love you! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful details Kirsten. Thank you. The street of vendors is like the one in Cancun, Puerto Morales, Mexido. Very fun and tons of stuff to see. You are so fortunate to be doing all this. So glad you have a roommate to hang with, too. Makes it nicer to share with someone all that you are seeing and experiencing. Muchas Smooches! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. eh commo estas?? That's about all I know cuz I took French in HS. :) I'm so glad you're doing a blog!! Now we'll all get to hear from ya and you won't have to email us individually!! :) Love the stories and pictures!! Keep 'em comin' when you can. Love you bunches!! Tina~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kirsten, thanks for posting...I will live vicariously through you and your blog. In Woodinville but traveling in Argentina. Hold on to that backpack and wear your sunscreen. Have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I know I told you over facebook, but the last two pictures of the colorful places...it's one of the default pictures on our phone!! I bet you didn't even realize it! That is so awesome! You are probably like the coolest person ever right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pictures of the colorful buildings looks like they were taken in La Boca barrio, which might make sense since you said you visited the Boca Jr. Stadium: "La Bombonera." I remember playing a match against Maradona there when I was young,

    Ronaldinho

    ReplyDelete